Friday, May 9, 2014

Max's Reed Mod That You Think Won't Work but Totally Does

I just built my wife a Puch Nostalgia. (Go back a few posts for pics.) I was having trouble getting the tuning right, but I had a hunch that it wanted more fuel (MOAR.) In porting it, I had cut out the bridge in the intake... which, probably should be reserved for 4 pedal set up's that can flow more. So, with this hunch and a few extra 2 pedals lying around, I set out to do an experiment. I forgot to take pics during this process, so excuse the crude drawings.

Before getting started on this mod, take out any bridge or divider between that reeds that might be there. Also, make sure that your reed block is very flat and is sealing against the current reed. This became a big problem for me when cutting new reeds. They never seemed to seal quite flat. This mod gets around that problem, which is part of why I did it in the first place. In my case, I plastidip'd the reed block to rubberize it. Depending on how long this lasts, I'm not sure if I can recommend that or not. I have 100miles on it so far though and no signs of failure...

So, ok you've prepped your reed block:

Step 2:

Drill a big ass hole (in the top 2/3rd's of the reed)

Step 3:

Cover with the thinnest reed paper. In my case, I used .25mm Yellow Polini reed paper from

Step 4: Blast


No comments:

Post a Comment